Background Image

Anime!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by DARKWAR PALADIN, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Policenaut Policenaut Forum Beta Tester

I would recommend everyone check out Legend of the Galactic Heroes. Lots of space battles, political intrigue, enlightened despotism vs. democracy, etc. all while Dvorak rocks it out in the background.
  2. Inquisitor Soviatus Soviatus Arkhona Vanguard

Get dat black bible son
    DARKWAR PALADIN and Urian Velos like this.
  3. YES!

Truth is I can choose to watch any new anime coming out, I can choose to watch all that moe rubbish and fanservice garbage which has been churned out off the production line of cash in on worse elements in our community imo. Thing is, I'd rather shove my hand into off yogurt, I'd enjoy the experience more. I want to watch anime, but I don't know of any I can find that won't make my face melt from the offense of seeing the awful... truth is, I want to find what I used to like watching. The good stuff! Where is the good stuff these days?

(BTW I got nothing against people who like that moe 'thing' but it doesn't mean I will respect you for liking it, I still respect you as an Anime fan though.)

Honestly yes I am a prude, a snobby critical tight er... ?belt...? When it comes to Anime, after watching what I personally considered the best, it's hard for me to find something to ingest which I consider is worthy of wasting my time alive on this planet watching. The best anime was in the 90s and since 2006 there hasn't been very much outside of a handful of shows worth me wasting time watching. Truth is I could if I wanted to waste 4 months of my life and watch every episode of Naruto if I really wanted to. I'd likely turn to it next because I am too lazy to look and trudge though the corridors full of slice of life to find the few shows which have the foreign concept of "great storyline", "great characters", "drama", "edgy" and "on the edge of you seat suspense".

And when I say edgy, I mean ANIME EDGY, not WESTERN EDGY, Sorry 90s, we do not want you back, you can keep your 'cowabungas' and 'eXtremez.'

If any of you can point me to anything fantastic I haven't already seen, then I'd really appreciate it. :D

You got to see Trigun, it's in my top 10 favorites of all time. The story is fantastic, they don't have too many filler episodes and the pacing is fantastic. The story
    is very criptic though and even at the end you'd still not fully understand what is going on. It's one of those you have to see every major episode to understand it stories.

I'm what the Otaku refer to is the "old schoolers". I don't have any models or paraphernalia (except a Macross Variable fighter which was re-labeled as a Transformer toy) And I own actual VHSes and DVD box sets rather than figures and toys. I care for the message and the edgyness, I care for the craft and the daringness to do something outside the box and try something new in storytelling addressing issues of importance to the human condition.

I avoid anime conventions because each time I go I end up making everyone hate me because all I spend the entire time there doing is mocking moe fans, poking fun at people wearing silly hats and generally making a purist grouch of myself. Thing is because I am old school and a purist they can't do anything about it either... heh heh.
    Opeth xDAx likes this.
  4. Unknown OpethxDAx Subordinate

There's no sarcasm. The fact that anyone will sit though an anime with any fillers or obscene amount of fanservice baffles me.
    Urian Velos likes this.

5. Except in the case of Neon Genisis where fanservice is replaced with still images and white japanese traditional text on black in a vague attempt to make up for a lack of a budget. Then when they bring out the re-done movies for all the fans, you realize that there wasn't much difference. Believe me, whoever waited 15 years to feel closer, I feel sorry for you. If you've seen Evangelion: 3.0 You Can (Not) Redo, you would understand my point...
  6. NikolaNesic87 Nikola Active Member

bleach, one piece cool anime and a lot of unique characters, detective conan is unique anime, break blade are the ones I forgot to mention the first time.
    BTW Bible Black is cool :D
  7. Policenaut Policenaut Forum Beta Tester

8. Uriel1339 Uriel1339 Lord of Posts

Bleach cool anime? I think we both have seen something different..... Detective Conan was great but nothing new anymore?

I personally hope they pick DBZ Battle of the Gods up and make a new series / season between DBZ and GT..... Without all the failures that GT had ^^
  9. DeFoamBag Active Member

I will probably get stomped to death for saying this but... I have never watched an anime :oops:
  10. not stomped to death, more flooded wit recommendations lol
    Psyctooth likes this.