Background Image

ADAD and You! Yes you, now what would you like to see...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Asheru, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Atarius Atarius First Blood!

Point taken, strafing properly is fundamental in FPS/TPS-Games and we both can agree on this one. But what you do, and we all see in your vid's, isn't strafing! ADAD-ing like you do are part of the 90's were it had an impact on gameplay because of tech-reasons (Latency-issues, server-problems, etc.) and shouldn't be in a game today. If EC has problems (teleporting!) this kind of behavior (ADAD) has the potential to have an impact on gameplay!

I hope I haven't wrote anything like "remove AD completly from EC" :), but again I can agree. Strafing (the proper way) should be part of EC, but not the way you use it. Heck, you could even use it with different impact for races (Elder have higher strafespeed with lower spread than orks ... as an example). But again, this "hip-shacking" shouldn't be a part of any FPS / TPS today.
    ruititadiogo likes this.
  2. Leroy Twizzlers DemonKingBAAL Steam Early Access

First off, that's not true. Released FPS games as of recent still have much more "infurating" ADAD strafing. This includes Overwatch, Quake Champions, Reflex, Diabotical (soon to be released), even PUBG has it to a certain degree, Battalion 1944 (almost released, relatively same level of ADAD as PUBG). The point is, strafing is involved definitely in Arena FPS, and is involved in Tac FPS on a different level. EC is a MIX of Arena/Tac FPS, and the strafing reflects Tac FPS moreso unless you're an Eldar or Slaanesh marine. It's slow enough to track easily post-nerf. It's not an outdated mechanic. It still exists in plenty of FPS games today for a reason, because it adds to a game's skillcap in a legitimate matter and is widely accepted by most FPS players today, both casual and professional. I say most, because this is the only gaming forum that actually has people complaining about something so simple.
    Durash, Slough_Monster and Atsidas like this.
  3. Leroy Twizzlers DemonKingBAAL Steam Early Access

It is strafing though. I don't blindly mash my A and D keys super fast and have the game automatically make me look like I'm strafing. On Slaanesh/Eldar, I do about a 0.35s delay between each strafe to get good distance to throw off someone's aim as best as possible. On Non-Slaanesh/Eldar, I do about 0.45-0.5s. Tapping them mega fast back and forth won't do anything other than make me sit my crosshair still at the level of your model's neck and instakill you in 6-8 hits without missing, because your character isn't gonna be moving anywhere far enough to throw my aim off.
    Durash and Atsidas like this.
  4. Atarius Atarius First Blood!

This is debatable, if it is strafing or not. If you move at least more than one full step, it can be called strafing, if you just "shake" (like we see in you vids), I dont think so.

But I have a few questions:
    How far do you move, if you have only a delay of 0.35s to 0.5s while changing your direction?
    Why do you think you throw someone's aim off, whike moveing only a tiny bit, not even a full step if it has no "bigger" impact?
    Do you macro this btw?
  5. Leroy Twizzlers DemonKingBAAL Steam Early Access

I don't macro anything. Macroing is a bannable offense in this game, and you don't have to macro something as simple as strafing because muscle memory. 0.35s with Slaanesh/Eldar speed is a bit more than one full step if you were to time yourself and look at the animation in Garrison. 0.5s is also about one full step, maybe a bit more, with normal speed that doesn't involve Eldar/Slaanesh speed. Stuttering and spamming ADAD super fast doesn't do anything beneficial. 0.35s and 0.5s sounds fast on paper, but in play, it's quite a big delay that's required to strafe correctly in EC. Strafing any less than one full step in this game doesn't do anything good for you other than make the enemy player have an easier time to track you just by 80% strafe aiming.
    Durash, Atsidas and Lucifron like this.
  6. Atarius Atarius First Blood!

Hehe, test passed. It would have been too funny if you wrote, yes to macroing :p.

As you wrote yourself, 0.35 to 0.50 sounds fast on paper, but has a big impact ingame! That's the serverproblems we talk about. You, for yourself, move very fast, but your opponent has a bigger visual delay and thinks (aims) somewhere else. That's the problem with highspeed-ADAD we are talking about.
  7. Leroy Twizzlers DemonKingBAAL Steam Early Access

It's the same speed and representation for both players. I noticed no difference in crosshair placement from my 14ms on NA to my 150-200 on EU. Hell, ViralHatred is an Australian player and plays with over 350 ping, yet is still able to accurately hit me in ADAD fights with sometimes every bolter shot. It's not a server problem in the slightest. It's a player problem.
    Atsidas likes this.
  8. Go take a look at your ADAD tutorial. What you teach aren't even close to full steps. You're not really spamming ADAD, but using it very quickly to feint moves.

Don't get me wrong, I'm fine with ADAD movement, just wanted to point out. I just think it should get a bit more aiming penalty.
  9. Atarius Atarius First Blood!

Uhm, it is not possible to notice a difference in crosshair placement whatever your ping is, because you manually aim on you screen, but you get info where the player stands from the server, with delay and this sums up. Or do I understand you wrong ....?

The 2nd part is interesting, even with high ping (350) still able to hit you while moving like this?

Edit: Because in you vids, you don't move a single step, just "shaking". It would be interesting to see it on someone else view.
  10. Leroy Twizzlers DemonKingBAAL Steam Early Access

That's because that video involves OLD strafing speed. It is not up-to-date with the current iteration of strafe speed. It's much slower than it is in that video. Not even 5 videos after that video in my timeline, you'll see "the Unnerfable Force" montage, which is the montage where I highlight the strafe speed nerf to show tac players that you can still do it, it's just not as effective.

EDIT: Thanks for reminding me of that though. I'll have to make an up-to-date tutorial of it since I'm working loadout guides/game tutorials currently.
    Atsidas likes this.