Background Image

ADAD and You! Yes you, now what would you like to see...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Asheru, Jan 22, 2018.

1. KHETTI Well-Known Member

ADAD strafing shouldn't be removed completely but a space marine and an Eldar should not be strafing at the same speed, and both should receive an accuracy penalty for doing it.
  2. Saeritan Saeritan Arkhona Vanguard

That's not the strafing that's being discussed. You're referring to strafing in the military context as described here https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/strafe and here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strafing

What is being discussed here is movement strafing, described here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strafing_(gaming)

"In video games, strafing is the technique of moving the player's character from side to side, rather than forward or backward."

In my opinion it's really hard to tell if ADAD needs to be fixed or not, simply because the hit detection in EC is so god awful that half my shots don't register on enemies moving in straight lines or standing still, it's pretty much impossible to tell for me if ADADing makes that any worse than it already is.

I'd much rather see the hit detection / net code / whatever you want to call it fixed before drastic changes were made to ADADing, but frankly we all know that won't happen, probably ever.

If ADAD did turn out to be the cause of some of these problems I'd like to see the game move towards a more team based, tactical game than the weird limbo it exists in currently. We have mechanics from high skill ceiling games, like extremely short ttks, massive headshot bonus damage, shooting grenades, etc. but then we also have mechanics from games that require more thought and teamwork, like support classes, objectives you need to sit still to interact with, slow movement, sticky cover and drawn out melee combat.

Frankly I'd like to see EC be more like Global Agenda without jetpacks, rather than Quake but everyone is wading through treacle. However, again, I am aware this will never happen as EC has only 2 QA guys and a producer on the team and extremely minimal funds.
  3. Tarl68 TARL68 Arkhona Vanguard

I'd go for a +1 vote to either and possibly both ....

a) an increased spread penalty modifier and an increased LP cost for spread reduction mods

b) some form of increased inertia similiar to what happens when you run and try to stop in EC ... you usually travel forward before you actually manage to stop
  4. Razmirth Sneaky-krumpin Subordinate

I agree 100 percent. And I’m not a hater of ADAD, it just makes sense to have some penalty to aim because of it. Makes it less “exploity” and more realistic. It’s not gonna stop guys like Leroy from getting a fair amount of kills, make no mistake. But it may add some more survivability to the average player, and make things like peaking from around corners and hiding on rails more effective.
  5. Leroy Twizzlers DemonKingBAAL Steam Early Access

Revert the barrel/grip changes that made CQC/Textured the new Heavy/Stabilizing. Don't change ADAD speed AGAIN, it is fine where it is. Nerf Slaanesh non-sprint speed multiplier maybe, but that should be the only one in consideration. Old Heavy/Stabilizing didn't have such accurate hipfire shooting, and the Bolter definitely didn't need the CQC Barrel. It was already strong DPS wise.

Old Stabilizing Grip/Heavy Barrel combo was great for ADS, and was good enough for hipfire. Right now, Textured/CQC is too good in both hipfire accuracy, ADS accuracy, and bolter DPS. Just revert the changes back to where Heavy/Stabilizing is the BiS attachments, and you'll force bolter players to get closer to accurately hit someone in the head with hipfire, cause right now I can accurately hit head/chest at about a 50/50 ratio if I just hover my accurate hipfire xhair at neck level at a pretty great distance away.
    ProteusVM, Sneaky-krumpin and Faeruin like this.
  6. Lerdoc Katitof Well-Known Member

Not only ADAD, but spread while moving should be much larger on non storm weapons(that means TLASC, SB and oh well, orks are dead anyway - would not have the penalty) and all other weapons should have great spread if you try to hip fire on the move.

I'd rather see EC have more tactical shooter direction then twitch shooter.
  7. Lady Rheeva Steam Early Access

I believe the core problem here is the inconsistency:
    Eternal Crusade combines multiple elements from different development goals- and periods into one game. We have ADAD, which is a mechanic from old-school speed-based shooters, the overall gameplay however is fairly slow-paced, movement is heavily restricted, in particular vertical movement for everyone but jump-classes.
    The game itself was originally built to be a massive-multiplayer shooter and cover was supposed to be a core element, but when development shifted more towards a lobby shooter, some things changed.

I guess what I'm trying to say is: ADAD is not bad, it just doesn't really fit with other elements of EC.
    Preferably, Scream While Dying would be built from the start without relying on mechanics like strafing or Iframes.

For starters, weapons need recoil and weapons need spread. This alone would help encouraging tactical gameplay.
    Right now, the game is too much about hipfire-dueling each other, scoring as many kills as possible as fast as possible.
    If we get elements like cover, crouching for precision, shooting in controlled bursts rather than full-auto, the current domination-meta will die down a bit.
    Also, TTK-decrease would help but only if latency problems get fixed too.

The easiest solution would be to nerf tactical archetypes/buff other classes to the point where teams consist more evenly of all unit-types (And spamming Heavies for Defense does not count, they need to function without bracing their weapons)
    Shift the meta, we will probably get new problems but it will fix the current ones.
    Sumshine likes this.
  8. Teef Trooper909 Recruit

Hipfire accuracy and firing on the move is the problem.change those and no more adad.

Make it so you can hit the body semi reliably at close range but have slim to no chance to hit the head while even still,no chance of killing anything on the move,A few stray shots might hit at best.

I come from games where fatigue and weapon sway are a thing so obviously hate arcade crap like adad.On the other hand tho this is an arcade game....Actually I have no idea what this is.

Pretty much this.
    OldMaster and Deathwish like this.
  9. Xepherial Wraithblade Steam Early Access

Being able to aim while strafing, against someone else who is strafing, is skill. Personally, I like when someone steps up to me and bolter-duels me.

To hold still while under fire is to surrender.

Also, even if the changes you suggested were implemented, Leroy, I know you'd just shoot from farther back, ADS, and scope-down whenever your reticle blooms. You'd still nade-trick like a fiend, and maybe moreso if aiming at close range were more difficult.

If movement spread is increased, these poor new players are going to be even worse shots than they already are.
    Durash likes this.
  10. Shad Shadowsaber Subordinate

Is it worth it to set a certain time for the beginning of the movement in the opposite direction? Let's say 0.25 seconds.