Background Image

A Weapon Idea For Chaos Space Marines.

Discussion in 'Ask the Team' started by Arkdawn, Jun 30, 2014.

?

Would you like a weapon like that to be added to the game.

1. Yes "cool and terrifying"

28 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. No "Don't need any new gear added devs have their hand's full as it is/may not be lore friendly"

6 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. If added should be after the game safely launch's.

9 vote(s)
    21.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Arkdawn Arkdawn Curator

I remembered playing Warhammer 40,000 Fire warrior it was a first person shooter where you played as a Tau Fire Warrior as you played the game you was able to pick up other guns and use them one that was fun was the Chaos Space Marines bolter, I remembered when the first CSM started shooting at me it had a scream sound that was coming from the bolt it was like a shadow bolt that screamed as it went by thudd....aaaaaaAAAAAHHHHHhhhhhh..... on the video go to 3:05 to see the bolters i'm talking about.

Like that but better upgraded to meet 2015:D

It had a slow speed but it was cool and terrifying at the same time.

Maybe the Chaos Space Marines can earn rare bolters that can do the same they would have a slower rate of fire the bolt round would also go slower maybe the speed of not slower then a rocket but when it did hit someone/something it would pack a punch.

Also to add a true sense of terrifying dread maybe giving them a suppression effect to add to the terror effect getting hit by one would make the players screen turn different shades of red and slow the players movement a little with the first hit but more hits would add to the suppression effect and with a screaming after effect maybe or "Hell Speak" tell the suppression effect were's off "It would be like one of those bad dreams where your trying to move or run from a storm/monster and it seems like your running in mud or sand and you can hear it getting closer and closer!!!":eek:

I was thinking of that scream effect and started daydreaming about facing 6-12 CSM's armed with bolters like that hearing that screaming as each chaos bolt round went by, it would truly be "Shock & Awe" terrifying as the CSM's rushed an enemy i think that would be a really cool thing to add to Eternal Crusade.

Djemo-SRB pointed out that bolters will use the hitscan mechanic (% to hit when firing as you hold your aim on the target at a given range) it got me thinking of how it could be done if i remember right the missile launchers and the plasma cannons will have a slower moving projectile maybe the devs can use some of those mechanics to make a modified bolter using a plasma cannon/missile launcher projectile mechanics with a bolter skin maybe replacing the rocket sound that the missile would make as it goes through the air with a random screaming sound, not sure how all of that programming stuff works just thought i would give an idea.

I was giving this some thought for a few days now would you like to see Chaos God specific sounds and visuals based on Chaos God dedication/devotion.

Nurgle Dedication/devotion would be like shooting a green glob of eeky nastiness that only a follower of Nurgle could love...you know something that very well might make some one sick to the tummy after hearing and seeing:D and the screaming sound would be replaced with the yell/scream that "Slimmer" used in the first ghostbusters movie.

And the others would get their own style. looking for ideas for the others!

I'm not sure if this is lore friendly but if it is it would be cool to add them.

Looks like there is going to be this type of a bolter(Somewhat sounds like just the screaming part) in-game in the rogue trader store the Chaos Faction gets this bolter.

WIDOWMAKER BOLTER
    ¤10,000 RTP
    The Night Lords excel at causing terror and fear in their foes, and the Widowmaker bolter comes from that mindset with effective screaming ammunition designed to destroy morale and rout enemies. Though first made popular by the Night Lords, the ammunition (and the weapon design) have been made available to all those who serve in Abaddon’s black crusade.

This is a weapon for the Chaos Space Marine faction that can be upgraded and equipped in a loadout.

Type: Light Weapon (Bolter)
    [​IMG]
    larrs likes this.
  2. DjemoSRB Djemo-SRB Preacher

They confirmed awhile ago that bolters will be hitscan weapons, so id doubt they would rework the firing system of bolters over a variant.

It doesent need to have the slower round thing, having a slower firing rate along with screaming would fit balancing well enough. Though they would probably be some late progression bolters, seeing as we are speaking about something along the likes of deamon weapons (regular ones dont scream to my knowledge).
    larrs and Xeltan like this.
  3. Blood God Kaos Active Member

youre a piss poor shot if the enemy can hear your bolts scream as they pass by them...
    honestly you should be hitting them in the head or chest out to 1000 yards with a good bolt rifle....
  4. Aritol Aritol Prefectus

I think bolters have a range of 60-100 Meter. So 1000 yards are a bit....off.

But there will be some...scream weapons....
    Noise Marines.

Basicly they shoot Dubstep at the enemy and every sound they do so is a par of heaven to them.
    larrs likes this.

5. i thought only high fire rate weapons where hit scan, and slow firing weapons where...what ever the other method is called.
    larrs likes this.
  6. DjemoSRB Djemo-SRB Preacher

Bolters fall into high fire rate weapons.
    larrs likes this.
  7. Arkdawn Arkdawn Curator

True i understand that bolters will be hitscan it got me thinking of how it could be done if i remember right the missile launchers and the plasma cannons will have a slower moving projectile maybe the devs can use some of those mechanics to make a modified bolter using a plasma cannon/missile launcher projectile mechanics with a bolter skin maybe replacing the rocket sound that the missile would make as it goes through the air with a random screaming sound, not sure how all of that programming stuff works just thought i would give an idea.

And your idea sounds good too ether would still be cool to have ingame.
  8. not really, not compared to ork or eldar weapons. Bolter has what? like 240-250 rpm? compared to a orks gun which probably have more like 600 or 800 rpm.

the bolter is a slow firing weapons
  9. DjemoSRB Djemo-SRB Preacher

What in the SM arsenal is faster than a bolter firing? Thats what i though.
    Also they were hitscan in Space Marine, they will be hitscan here.

Primary reason being performance issues, which are close to non existent with hitscan weapons whilst non-hitsan weapons need each shot calculated in real time on the server.
    Patrick went over this like 50 times already, im surprised people are still asking honestly. If you dont believe me ask him yourself why they are hitscan.
  10. Arkdawn Arkdawn Curator

Also to add a true sense of terrifying dread maybe giving them a suppression effect to add to the terror effect getting hit by one would make the players screen turn different shades of red and slow the players movement a little with the first hit but more hits would add to the suppression effect and with a screaming after effect maybe or "Hell Speak" tell the suppression effect were's off.