Background Image

A True 40K Gaming Experience: ARMA III - 40k Mod

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Kaptin_Pokkets, Aug 16, 2017.

1. Lootmasta Kaptin_Pokkets Arkhona Vanguard

2. I'm almost certain that they can't go after Arma for a mod, the company didn't use their IP, some customers used their product to use the IP. Too separated and unintentional to say they're purposefully trying to use GW's IP for their own gain, they didn't do anything but allow people to change their game.

Donations could potentially be argued to be a violation as at the end of the day they are using the IP to make money without a license. However a modder is small fish so first off they'd have to notice before deciding that shutting it down is worth it, which I doubt since I don't think mods make that much money(not enough to effect an international businesses bottom line) and what boils down to a fan project isn't going to hurt their IP's reputation even if it ended up being poorly done. I'd even say shutting down some group of modders would probably hurt their reputation more than a mod ever could, cause they'd look petty. So they probably could claim copyright but I doubt they would even if they found out about it. It's not the first 40k mod.
    DrDooManiC likes this.
  3. Lootmasta Kaptin_Pokkets Arkhona Vanguard

And of course it won't be the last either. So essentially unless they start asking for money they're fine. And I really don't see that happening.
  4. Looking respectable given how quickly these are being cranked out, keep at it. I will however be obligated to drop this here.

It should however be remembered that Microsoft of all groups have a good relationship with Halo fans, despite the new trilogy, and made an official statement circa Halo 3 about non-profit fan creations being cool, so perhaps Geedubs would oblige your team as well. Good hunting.
    Urtuah-Jibblies likes this.
  5. Teef Trooper909 Recruit

Already done more on this mod in a month than the EC devs have done since I been here.

Shame its on the shitty Arma engine so I wont be playing it though but I guess they are the only people who allow modding these days.

You know Squad allows modding to? its on Unreal4.A 40k game/mod for that is something I'd give my left testicle for...Possibly my right as well.
  6. working on the texture for the ork bodies, very much in-progress currently: Untitled.png
    Corie likes this.
  7. Appreciate the work going into the Orks.
  8. Lutherian Lutherian Subordinate

great progress so far boss, seems the management change was the best thing to happen to the arma mod.