Background Image

A change to the reaper launcher

Discussion in 'Eldar' started by The-Forge-Dragon, Jun 15, 2017.

?

Autocannon-esque starswarm mode

1. yes

2. no

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Anvil The-Forge-Dragon Arkhona Vanguard

How would Eldar feel about replacing the charge and burst of the starswarm missiles with a one at a time fire and overheat mechanic like the autocannon? This means that it could barrage an area until it overheats or cooled. The missiles would still have a travel along the X and Y axis while in flight but it could make it a more reliable weapon for slow advances in close quarters. The missiles may need to be buffed for this with more damage mind you.
    Auzor likes this.
  2. Xio Valency Xi0 Preacher

If it doesn't have a piss poor rate of fire like it does when you tap fire currently then sure, never going to be added though, last time devs buffed the Reaper Launcher they nerfed it and called the warp hunter op
  3. Mileena Mileena Subordinate

Give! Eldar autocanon!
  4. Lerdoc Katitof Well-Known Member

There are only 2 ways to go here.
    Either AC copy or higher AoE, damage, accuracy and projectile speed.
    Auzor likes this.
  5. hitscan would be good, an alternative for shuricannon maybe
    Sily likes this.
  6. Alorion CaiusCain Active Member

I'd like for it to instead of charging have an auto cannon like fire rate, and make its missiles track the mouse pointer.

The damage per round isn't that high, but it's not bad against infantry, the charge up mechanic right now though makes it awful to use and the same with all the scatter.
  7. Velenor Subordinate

charging up an attack only to uncontrollably vomit out projectiles that veer off wildly and travel at slow speed does not for an accurate weapon make. What the fuck did the design document for this thing look like?
    I'll take a reskinned autocannon over this piece of shit. Old sounds and model included.
    Sily likes this.
  8. Auzor Auzor Menial

Full automatic reaper launcher? Yes please!

For reference, HB, Autocannon, and plasma cannon stats:
    HB: 38-28 dmg, 100 pen, 600 RPM. 1.7% heat.
    Autocannon: 133-98 dmg, 115 pen, 171 RPM. 5.8 heat
    Plasma Cannon: 88-65, (380 full charge?), 120 Pen, 180 RPM. 12.5 heat.

Note that the swooping Hawk 'Hawks Talon' has more penetration than Heavy Bolter or Autocannon.. oO
    (120 pen)

Dark reaper shuricen cannon: 21-16 dmg, 100 pen, 1.071 rpm.

The Reaper launcher: the current stats don't list a RoF. Or Penetration.
    Starshot damage: 2.000, for 100 heat.
    Starswarm damage: 80 damage, for 17 heat.
    So, hard to evaluate directly. But you'll never get the RoF of the Autocannon, or Plasma cannon currently.

Missile Launcher makes some sense it would have slower RoF than Autocannon etc.
    For sustained fire, at least 120 rpm seems.. kind of mandatory.
    At that rpm, some AoE effect should be present I think.
    Or, have it as a slower RoF, always doing some AoE damage, but still: full-auto fire mode, separate from the charge-up one.

I'd rather not see a carbon copy of the autocannon..
    but I do would like to see Reaper Launcher reworked.
    I think it currently suffers from having to be balanced as both AI and AV weapon.
    Perhaps it would be better to also have the Eldar Missile Launcher, switching between Krak/Haywire/.. AV charge-up missile, and Plasma charge-up missiles.
    Sily likes this.
  9. Auzor Auzor Menial

I wanted to come back to this:

The single-charged-shot mode, can be very accurate due to guidance.
    The starswarm mode.. yuk..
    It is one thing to nerf the damage the projectiles do; but they are wiggling all over the place.

The first issue is, it is supposed to be AoE, or single target?
    Space Marine heavy weapons:
    Heavy Bolter,
    Multi-melta,
    Grav Cannon,
    Plasma Cannon,
    Lascannon.

Eldar currently don't have a Grav cannon or Multi-Melta equivalent;
    The "AI AoE role" is done in one way by the Tempest launcher, but it is difficult to use.

I resent not knowing the AP of the current reaper launcher,
    but 80 damage is very low, considering the Autocannon at 133-98 dmg/shot.

I'd put a reworked Reaper Launcher now at:
    140 AP (better vs toughness stacking elites; big things,.. than the Tempest Launcher)
    90 RPM, guided FAST missiles (twice the current speed at least?); have them pop up on the initial launch a bit to help shoot over every little terrain bump.
    160 dmg direct, (80 dmg indirect, AoE range as a Plasma Cannon. (not going to kill a huge group of people quickly is it..) Scrap that; leave the Tempest Launcher, or the charged mode as the AoE option. 160 direct damage, but highly accurate and at a higher AP, should be able to compete with Autocannon.
    Just as a reminder: a normal Autocannon is 500 LP. This is 600 LP.

And give it a magazine of 6 shots.
    a 'Starshot' uses up 3 shots; faster charge, less damage.
    Now you'll have to reload, not just 'cool down'.
  10. Asyran Eldritch Arkhona Vanguard

You guys still think they will change Reaper Launcher?

Naive.png
    Sily likes this.